To determine if you have a square face shape, you can use the following guidelines:
- Measure your face: Using a measuring tape, measure the width of your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline at their widest points. If they are roughly the same size, then you likely have a square face shape.
- Look at the shape of your jawline: A square face shape typically has a strong, angular jawline that is about as wide as the cheekbones.
- Observe the length of your face: A square face shape is usually as long as it is wide, creating a boxy appearance.
- Check the shape of your forehead: A square face shape usually has a wide forehead that is about the same width as the cheekbones and jawline.
- Look at the shape of your chin: A square face shape typically has a square or rectangular chin.
By examining these five features, you can determine if you have a square face shape. Keep in mind that face shapes are not absolute and many people have a combination of shapes, making it important to also consider other factors such as hair texture and personal style when choosing a hairstyle. At Zoe Grace Salon & Med Spa, we have a unique beauty analysis process that helps us determine the key focal points for your hair design. Our approach to hair coloring involves contouring, much like the way makeup is applied to enhance the natural features of your face. By strategically placing darker and lighter tones, we can create a multidimensional effect that complements your skin tone and facial structure. Whether you're considering hair color or extensions, our hairstylists can help you choose the best contouring technique for your desired look. It's always a good idea to consult with your hairstylist beforehand to ensure that you achieve your desired outcome.
Women with square faces typically have a strong, defined jawline, a wide forehead, and a squared chin. The goal of hairstyles for this face shape is to soften the angles and add curves to create a more oval-like appearance.
Here are a few hairstyles for women with square face shape:
- Long Layers: Layers that are long and flowy can add movement to the hair, creating a softer look and drawing attention away from the strong jawline.
- Side-Swept Bangs: Bangs that are swept to one side can add a diagonal line to the face, breaking up the boxy shape and creating a more feminine look.
- Curtain Bangs: Curtain bangs, which are long and parted in the middle, can add roundness to the forehead and balance the square jawline.
- Blunt Bob: A bob that is cut straight across at the jawline can create a smooth, rounded line, reducing the angles of the face.
- Asymmetrical Bob: An angled bob can add an interesting line to the face, breaking up the square shape and creating a more asymmetrical look.
- Wavy Lob: A long bob with waves can create a rounded look, adding volume and movement to the hair and softening the angular lines of the face.
- Pixie Cut: A pixie cut is a short, edgy hairstyle that can add roundness to the crown and provide a more playful, feminine look.
- Uneven Bob: An uneven bob can create a softer line at the jaw, reducing the angles of the face and creating a more rounded look.
- Long Curly Hair: Long, curly hair can add volume and roundness to the hair, softening the square shape and creating a more feminine look.
- Voluminous Updo: A voluminous updo, such as a bouffant or beehive, can add height to the crown, elongating the face and drawing attention away from the jawline.
It is important to keep in mind that not all hairstyles will suit everyone and it's best to consider face shape, hair texture, and personal style when choosing a hairstyle. It may be helpful to consult a professional stylist for a personalized recommendation.
Here are a few hairstyles for men with square face shape:
These hairstyles complement a square face shape by either softening its angular lines or accentuating its strong jawline.
- Textured Fringe adds volume and softness to the forehead, balance the width of a square jawline.
- Side part adds a diagonal line to the face, which breaks up the boxy shape.
- Short sides with longer top elongates the face, drawing attention upward and away from the jaw.
- Pompadour adds height to the crown, which elongates the face, while the sides can be cut shorter to balance the jawline.
- Curly top provides texture, volume and roundness to the crown, which also elongates the face.
- Slick back keeps hair off the face and showcases the jawline, adding definition to the square face.
- Faded undercut emphasizes the jawline, making it look more pronounced while short sides balance the width of the face.
- Spiky hair adds height and texture to the crown, breaking up the boxy shape of the face.
- Side-swept fringe adds an angled line to the forehead, breaking up the square shape.
- Shaggy hairstyle provides volume and texture, making the face appear less angular.
These hairstyles can help to create a more balanced appearance for men with square face shapes.
Here are a few hairstyles that square face shapes may want to avoid:
- Straight, sleek styles: Straight, sleek hairstyles can accentuate the angles of the face, making the jawline appear even stronger.
- Center-parted styles: Center-parted hairstyles can create a straight line down the middle of the face, accentuating the boxy shape.
- Short, blunt cuts: Short, blunt cuts that hit at the jawline can accentuate the angles of the face and create a square appearance.
- Flat, one-length styles: Flat, one-length styles can make the face appear wider, accentuating the square shape.
- Super-short hairstyles: Super-short hairstyles can draw attention to the jawline and accentuate the angles of the face.
- Top knots and buns: High top knots and buns can make the face appear shorter and more square.
These hairstyles tend to accentuate the angular lines of a square face shape, making the face appear even more square. Women with square faces may want to choose hairstyles that add curves, create a softer look, and reduce the appearance of sharp angles.
At Zoe Grace Salon & Med Spa, we believe in taking a personalized approach to hair design. Our signature beauty analysis helps us identify the key focal points for your hair, allowing us to create a customized look that complements your unique features. When it comes to hair coloring, we take inspiration from makeup application and use contouring techniques to enhance the natural shape of your face. By strategically placing dark and light tones, we can create depth and dimension in your hair, whether you're getting a full color treatment or extensions. We understand that choosing the right look can be overwhelming, which is why we encourage our clients to consult with our experienced hairstylists for expert guidance and advice.